Thursday, October 1, 2009

Did Somebody Say Tomatoes!!!????

I've been meaning to post some pictures of the beautiful tomatoes that have been growing around our house. We have 15 different varieties and a total of 17 plants!! I would say that 15 of those are taller and bigger around than I. It's a tomato jungle at our house. One of my favorite varieties produces these enormous gnarly toms.... 


These are called "Hillbilly" Tomatoes. They are an heirloom variety.


Shall I share the bounty my lovely sister was talking about??
This next picture is an example of about 2 days worth of tomato picking. One bowl was leftover from the day before and the other 2 were picked that day. Sheesh!


We, (my housemates Mark and Brooke), all wanted to plant a good amount of tomatoes.... but it was definitely Mark's idea to plant soooo many. I have to say that I was worried at first, but now I'm just excited. We haven't been able to keep up with them as much as we would have liked to. But we've been pretty good.

I have made sooo many caprese salads it's ridiculous! But also delicious and simple. Also being made from our tomatoes are salsas, sauces, and I adapted my pesto recipe to include some lovely tomatoes, and also we have been freezing some of the small ones whole. This is a trick I learned from my Mother. She's a sharp one I tell ya!

The other lovely thing to do is give them to the poor, unfortunate people we know who are tomato plant-less.... for example, my sister. People love home grown!!
One last picture...



One of my favorite ways to collect them. This is Sarah... signing off.....

3 comments:

Dana said...

Are they called hillbilly because they look like an old man with no teeth??? Just a thought...

Erin Joy said...

Wow - a Sarah post. So nice to read something someone else wrote for a change. How're the mitts? Where's the post about them??

Katie Elizabeth said...

FYI - Hillbilly tomato won Territorial Seed Company's annual tomato taste off this year. A first, as it usually goes to Pineapple, or Brandywine.