Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Still Life (with playdough)



Around here there is a lot of life, but not much of it is still. At this moment (10:15 a.m.) the toddler is riding his trike through the house singing his version of the ABCs while the baby is squealing from his swing. We are preparing to go to a friend's house to play, for our usual Tuesday playdate, but I have to stop to watch Owen race back to his room for his fireman's hat. No tricycle ride is complete without a plastic fireman's hat.

I've always been fascinated by the still life as an artform. They were my favorite thing to paint (when I had time to paint) and photograph. Here at the house I keep noticing little unintentional still lifes all over the place. A toy placed just so beside a lamp; a tangerine sitting beside a blue cup; yarn sitting prettily on a table. I want to start noticing things like that more - little pockets of stillness in an otherwise busy life.
Hey Sarah - I'm looking out the window! It's gray, but there are gorgeous yellow daffodils in the backyard.

1 comment:

Mom said...

You've always been the artist in our bunch - only an artist can see still life in playdough balls - who knew?????????????