Thursday, April 7, 2011

Waiting


My mind is pleasantly blank these days.  I don't seem to be thinking about much, I just watch the trees in the neighborhood toss around in the breeze and sit on my front stoop whenever the sun comes out.  Occasionally there is knitting going on, or reading, or cooking, but I feel a bit like a clueless furry forest creature - eat, sleep, stare at the crows circling high above, and that's about it.  I pick up my notebooks and no words present themselves.  It's like "The Sound of Silence" but in a good way.  I just know that there is something good lurking in the wings, something that will jump out and demand to be put to paper and which will take over my life (the way it usually does) just as I'm draining the pasta or wiping fingerprints off the windows.  You can't look feelings like that in the eye (so to speak).  Like feral cats, you have to be coy and kind of ignore them, wiggle your fingers invitingly then pretend to be absorbed by a spray of crumbs on the counter top.  So until the inspiration bug strikes I'm going to keep busy and quiet and sweep the floor - with one clandestine eye on that shadow hiding in the corner...   

1 comment:

Katie Elizabeth said...

Mmm good stuff. Good writing. Pretty much summed it up.