Monday, December 27, 2010

Christmas knitting



In addition to the Clockwork scarf for my brother-in-law I knitted up a pair of socks for my mother-in-law's present.  These are the Long Night's Journey Into the Day socks by Star Athena.  I don't often buy patterns (after all there are so many good free ones and let's face it - yarn is usually expensive enough) but when I saw this one I knew: love at first stitch.  The cable portion is knit in a rectangle (super easy once you get the cables down) then stitches are picked up and joined in a round to make the foot.  Weird construction = Fun knit.  I am so making myself some of these.  The yarn is a worsted superwash from Knit Picks so they were really inexpensive to make.  I love the idea of a cardigan sock - the buttons up the side are such a cute detail - very different.  She put them on immediately upon opening the box - just the kind of reaction I was looking for!

2 comments:

Oiyi said...

Great looking socks. And it looks like a fun and unusual construction. I have bought my fair share of patterns on Ravelry. But I don't mind. I like being to help support independent designers. Especially when they design awesome patterns.

Erin Joy said...

Yes, I sure wish I had the ability to buy more! Maybe someday...