Thursday, October 14, 2010

Another gratuitous bed shot

rumpled

I'm having a real love/hate relationship with this bed these days: I love to be in it and I hate having to get out of it. When each of the boys were little I was in and out and in and out all night long. It's appalling to imagine but you actually get used to that after a few weeks - you might not ever like it, but you get used to it. Then about the time Owen was three and a half and Aidan wasn't nursing anymore we had a string of quiet uninterrupted months of sleep. Fast forward to now. Not so much. Nearly every night for the past week and a half someone, if not both someones, has woken me up in the middle of the night or at the crack of dawn. Sometimes the requests are inarticulate (because who can be all that articulate at 4 a.m.?) like when Aidan wakes up crying, and sometimes they are specific like when Owen decides at two o'clock that he doesn't like his pajamas and "needs to change them right now!" So I wake up groggy and slightly confused every morning and wishing ever so slightly that I drank coffee so there would be something worth trekking through the freezing hallway for. But I don't so instead I comfort myself with the fact that when they're seventeen I'll be woken up in the middle of the night for...well, other reasons and I can be happy that right now all it takes to make them happy is a hug and a song or a quick change of pjs.

2 comments:

Oiyi said...

I hear ya! Especially now that the weather is nice and cool. I want to stay snuggled in my bed. Kid? What kid?

Dana said...

Ah, the joys of motherhood!?!?!