Sunday, August 16, 2009

Wish you were here

Mom never skimps on postcards. (Dumb photo orientation is off...and simply will not be fixed. Oh well!) Her Alaskan cruise was a total success, so I think we should all go on one.

And she doesn't skimp on souvenirs either! This, ladies and gentlemen, is qiviut (or qiveut). Super fine and somewhat rare, it's the soft underhair of a musk ox. I know, if they can collect it and spin it, anything can be turned into yarn! It's extremely thin (I'm practically hyperventilating as we speak) but I think it will make something lovely someday. A lace scarf or lace something, anyway.

See that tiny price notation in the corner??? I have NEVER spent that much on ONE skein of yarn, and now I have TWO. Thanks, Mom! You're worth more than a whole stash of qiviut!

3 comments:

Katie Elizabeth said...

Did you catch that? That was me wiping off the drool. Your mom is so cool!

Lynda said...

Can I be your mom's daughter too!
You are going to have to make something mighty darn special out of that yarn. The pressure is on!
Drooling :->>> It is more beautiful than I imagined.

Dana said...

Beautiful, but...hope it doesn't drive you bonkers trying to create something soft and wonderful! I'm really not one to splurge like this, but I figured I might never be onsite again to purchase something so rare!